Monday, August 11, 2008

Vendor Road Trip - Day 21, August 6, 2008

Seattle Museum of Flight
I am staying with friends in Olympia, Washington and having great time. Jim is a Geoduck farmer in the Puget Sound and with his wife, Mary Carol, and 3 kids, they live with a house overlooking the bay. It actually feels like I’m on vacation at least for a couple of days. Of course, most of you are asking what Geoduck is. Here is a link to a video with all you would ever want to know about these odd clams.

http://www.geoduck.org/english-marketing-video_en.html

Back to business though, I did get to visit the Seattle Museum of Flight today. I’d been hoping to have time to do a bunch of museums, but the vendor visits took all my time, until I had a couple of days downtime. This museum is really great, especially as it is spitting distance from the Boeing field runway. I just could have sat and watch the planes coming and going, but we did go in. We had Jim and MCs 8-year-old, Ian, with us and this museum has a lot of interactive simulators so he was thrilled. This museum has an extensive WWI area which is not common in aviation museums, plus it has a reproduction building of the original Boeing factory. There are several fighter cockpits to crawl into and even a 737 cabin. (My goal for some future day is to pick up a real airplane cockpit like what they have here to convert into a flight simulator.) This museum was well worth the visit, especially for the feeling that you are at a bustling airport. After we left the museum we sat outside to watch the planes. I got to see an unfinished 737 arrive after, perhaps, a test flight. The Blue Angels had also had a performance at Boeing Field last weekend and were just leaving today so we got to watch them depart.

No comments: