Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 5, July 21, 2008
I’m seeing vendors in as sequential manner as I can, so today I am in Dallas, Texas and got a chance to visit with Wing Aero. Tomorrow I am meeting with my web software developers. The next stops coming up later this week will be of more interest to diecast airplane collectors. Once I get to Arizona I’ll be meeting with Modelworks, the source for the Mahogany models we sell, then on to Flight Miniatures, a source for Flight Miniature (aka Long Prosper) models and inFlight 1:500 and 1:200 scale models. Then I have to side track up to Salt Lake City to pick up my son before I head back to Las Vegas to visit with GeminiJets.

Wing Aero is a main supplier of mine for pilot supplies. As I stated in my last blog, www.pilotwear.com was started as an aviation gift retail company. One direction we moved was into diecast airplanes with our dedicated site for that, www.diecastairplane.com, but we also expanded into a pilot supply shop with an ongoing effort to bring make books and equipment available to pilots and from our growing list of sources. Wing Aero has been instrumental in making this part of our business a success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just discovered your blog, what fun! While you're travelling around talking to vendors, why don't you bring up the question of replacement *parts* ? (broken propellers!)

DiecastSource said...

This is a great idea. Actually, this really depends on the philosophy of the manufacturer. Many of them are good about keeping spare parts around: GeminiJets and Dragon Wings, are two examples of companies I can generally get parts from. Corgi is somewhere in the middle as they will keep spare parts for some of the newer models, but as models phase out so do the spare parts. Franklin Mint Armour is on the other end of the spectrum. Despite repeated request, they simply will not offer spare parts for their planes. It's alway worth emailing me to see what I have have around in my bone yard in any case (pilotwear.diecast@gmail.com)