Monday, July 14, 2008

Geneseo, NY Airshow


July 11-13

Geneseo Air Show
Theme: 70th Anniversary of the P-40 Warhawk.
1941 Historic Aircraft Group
Geneseo, NY
“The Greatest Show on Turf”
Drove out on Friday to the Geneseo Air Show. This shows takes place at the 1941 Historic Air Group Museum. What is especially cool about this location is that is is a 5000' grass runway and a big open field.
The weather was a little cloudy on Friday with some passing showers and some of the planes coming in for the show, including biplanes, landi
ng in the rain. But on Saturday the weather was perfect.

I came to the Geneseo
with my Father, Dick Howland. Dad is ex Air Force and spent many years as a corporate pilot. As a result we can’t walk down a row of aircraft with finding someone that dad has a connection with. I wish I’d brought my video camera to capture dad swapping old flying stories with his buddies. I’ve got to put that on my list of things to do.

Not only did I not have my video camera (by choice as I decided to travel light), but I didn’t have my
still camera either. We’ll I did have the camera, but when I went to grab it and head for the flight line I turned it on to check the battery and the screen said “no memory card.” Darn, I’d left the camera card in my computer at home after cleaning off images. I did have my iPhone with has a descent build in camera, but ala
s, no zoom. So I’ve got some photos posted, which you can checkout here. All the photos are flight line photos, as I had no way to capture fly-bys. But, of course you can see lots of good photos and get more information on this great air show at www.1941hag.org.

Half of the fun of watching these warbirds fly is the sound. Check out this track of a Corsair doing a fly-by.





(For more fantastic aircraft sound recordings check out t
hese Cds by aircraftrecordings available at www.diecastairplane.com )

This year at Geneseo was a salute to the P-40 and there were five here. It’s cool to see them operate at this all grass field. There were also a few Mustangs, a hurricane, a Hawker Sea Fury, and a corsair. Best of all I was out at the flight line when they fired up the Memphis belle B-17. This is not the original Memphis Belle, but is the one used for the movie. The original was scrapped after years of service. (Read more at www.memphisbelle.com). It takes about 10 minutes of preflight checklists before the get the engines fired up. It obviously didn’t take the WWII crews that long to get going, but the airplanes were a little newer then.

The transient fly-in parking was as interesting as the warbird end of the field. There were lots of well-love, and painstakingly maintained older planes. I love this shot of an MG parked in front of the Fleet bi-plane. What a great pair.

In addition to the warbirds and the transient aircraft there is also a WWII encampment. Tents, sandbagged machine gun nests, jeeps, and even Germans.

Check all the great warbird diecast models for sale at www.diecastairplane.com

No comments: